Friday, April 11, 2008

thanks to the Mayor.

6/1/07

this is a true story - I wrote it immediately after the event
took place. Was going to send it to the SP, then thought why?
Didn't send it. Then today, word came regarding your Dahl-SJC
Mayor emergency road (TCA ruse # 514) excuse.
Ask Mayor Dahl why he wouldn't approve widening too-narrow
SC residential streets to accommodate fire trucks?
Jim is a man of many road-safety contradictions.
Anyway, when I heard you published more TCA / Dahl Koolaid
nector I knew where to send this.

jer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat May 26th - SC's annual Hawaiian Surf Club Festival
at the Community Center I was busy advocating NO Toll Road
thru San Onofre State Beach Park (our state's 5th most popular).

For 10 years here, I've studied closely TCA's proposed destruction
of 60% of San Onofre State Beach Park - San Mateo Watershed,
San Mateo Creek, Donna O'Neill Land Conservancy and Panhe
Native American ancestral village-site, resulting in the loss of
SoCal's LAST HEALTHY surfing beach extending from Cotton's
Pt. 7-miles south to San Onofre Surfing Beach and Trails.

Globally recognized as SoCal's Yosemite of Surfing.
This includes our globally revered Trestles surf break.

In dispute: an elevated 8-lane-wide, private toll road paralleling
San Mateo Creek miles up into it's pristine mentor San Mateo
Watershed sounding a virtual death-knoll environmentally to
everything the superfluous toll road would pave-over.

This is why I owe Mayor Dahl a thank-you for a detail clarification
of the toll road's presumed height - as TCA's Plans call for their
elevated roadway to fly-over I-5 at the nexus of San Mateo Creek
and I-5, merging into 1-5 somewhere south around SONGS
nuclear facility.

At Saturday's aloha event Mayor Jim informed me, TCA's fly-over
estimation is 18ft over I-5's traffic at Trestles.
I thanked our mayor for the correction. I estimated it higher.

Then I said, "but Jim, 18 ft, or 100ft up, what's the diff, because

by then everything good is gone - forever."

And traffic on I-5 will be worse.

Mayor Dahl was wearing his trademark aloha shirt at an event
dedicated to the 'aloha spirit,' making me wonder - where does
destroying SoCal's last pristine coastal waters, a perfect watershed,
protected conservancies and sacred native american history, to
pave a private toll road no one will drive on - where does that
needless destruction of everything good fit into anyone's 'aloha spirit?
I suggest Mayor Jim change his aloha wardrobe, or stop pitching
TCA's 21-year old dinosaur of a destructive road to nowhere.

No comments: